LinkedIn is one of the most popular social media platforms with nearly one billion users. Since this social network is built based on business, it naturally is different from other examples such as Instagram and Facebook.
To write a LinkedIn recommendation, start by selecting the person's profile and scrolling down to the "Recommend" section. Click "Recommend [Name]" and choose the relationship type (colleague, manager, etc.). Next, write a personalized and sincere recommendation that highlights the person's skills, qualities, and achievements. Provide specific examples to make the recommendation more impactful. Avoid generic statements and focus on how the person's work positively influenced your experience. Once you're satisfied with the recommendation, click "Send" to share it with the person and make it visible on their profile. Giving thoughtful and authentic recommendations can help strengthen professional relationships and showcase your support for others in your network.
It may not seem like much to you, but many recruiters are very interested in this part. Because they want to know the opinion of your ex-managers and former colleagues about how professional you are in the workplace and how you react in challenging situations.
Yes, recommendations are more important than you think and are definitely one of the things that should be on your LinkedIn profile optimization list. In addition to using a suitable profile picture, a good headline, professional summary, work experiences that you put in your profile, skills, etc.
So, if you are planning to write a good recommendation on LinkedIn for a friend, former colleague, or former employee that you think are good at their job, keep reading.
How to Write a LinkedIn Recommendation?
As mentioned, LinkedIn is a social media platform that is widely used by professionals to make connections, network and find job opportunities. One of the key features of LinkedIn is the ability to receive recommendations from other professionals in your network.
Recommendations are an important aspect of LinkedIn because they provide social proof of your skills, expertise, and experience. LinkedIn recommendations are important for several reasons.
First of all, they provide social proof of your skills, expertise and experience. When potential clients or employers are looking to work with you or buy something from you, they often look at your LinkedIn profile to learn more about you. Having recommendations from other professionals in your network can help demonstrate your credibility and expertise.
Additionally, LinkedIn recommendations can help build your reputation and build your personal brand. When you receive a recommendation, it shows that you have made a positive impact on someone else’s career. This can help build your reputation as a trustworthy, reliable and knowledgeable professional.
LinkedIn recommendations can also help you stand out from the competition. When potential clients or employers are considering multiple candidates, having a strong set of recommendations can help you set yourself apart from other candidates.
Now that they are so important, are there any benefits to these recommendations? Yes, getting LinkedIn recommendations has several benefits. This includes:
1. Increase Credibility:
Recommendations from other professionals can help build your credibility and expertise in your field. This is especially important if you are just starting out in your career or trying to make a career change. When potential clients or employers see that you have received recommendations from other professionals, they are more likely to trust that you have the skills and experience necessary to succeed in your field.
2. Improve visibility:
Having recommendations on your LinkedIn profile can help improve your visibility on the platform. LinkedIn’s algorithm considers the number and quality of recommendations when determining search rankings, so having strong recommendations can help you appear higher in search results. This can help you get noticed by potential clients or employers who are looking for professionals with your skills and experience.
3. Advanced Networking:
Recommendations can also help you expand your professional network. When someone writes you a recommendation, their connections may see it, making them more likely to connect with you. This can help you make new connections with other professionals in your field that can lead to new job opportunities, collaborations, and other professional opportunities.
4. Improved career prospects:
Good recommendations can also help you stand out to potential employers. When employers are considering multiple candidates for a job, having a strong set of recommendations can help you stand out from other candidates. This can increase your chances of getting hired for the job you want.
Here are also some tips for writing a great LinkedIn recommendation:
1. be specific: When writing a recommendation, it is important to be as specific as possible. Don’t just write a generic recommendation—instead, give specific examples of how the person has helped you or others in their career. For example, you can highlight a project they worked on and specific contributions they made to the project.
2. Focus on strengths: When writing a recommendation, focus on the person’s strengths. Highlight their unique skills, expertise, and experience that make them stand out in their field. For example, you can mention their exceptional communication skills or their ability to think creatively and solve complex problems.
3. be authentic: Above all, be authentic when writing a recommendation. Don’t exaggerate or make false claims – instead, focus on providing an honest and accurate assessment of the person’s abilities. If you’re wary of recommending someone, it’s okay to decline the request instead of writing a lukewarm or unenthusiastic recommendation.
4. Keep it brief & simple: While you want to give specific examples and highlight the person’s strengths, it’s important to keep your recommendation brief. Aim for about 2-3 paragraphs and make sure you get to the point quickly. Avoid using long or overly complicated language that can dilute the main message of your recommendation.
5. Use a professional tone: Remember that LinkedIn is a professional networking platform, so it’s important to use a professional tone when writing a recommendation. Avoid using slang or overly casual language, and make sure to proofread your recommendation for any spelling or grammatical errors. You want to present yourself as a professional who takes his/her job seriously.
6. Include a call to action: Finally, it’s a good idea to include a call to action in your recommendation. It can be as simple as encouraging others to connect with the person on LinkedIn, or it can be a more specific call to action related to their career goals. For example, you could suggest that potential employers contact the person directly to learn more about their skills and experience.
In fact, recommending someone is a really easy process. All you need to do is to find that desired person’s profile, enter, click on the “More” button and click on ‘Recommend” and then write the recommendation in the pop up window and submit it.
Well, we talked about how to write a professional recommendation on LinkedIn, but how should we add one to our profile? I mean that is even more important, right?
Adding recommendations to your LinkedIn profile is a great way to showcase your skills and expertise to potential employers and clients. Here are the steps to add recommendations to your LinkedIn profile:
1. Log in to your LinkedIn account and go to your profile page.
2. Go to the “Recommendations” section and click the “Request recommendations” button.
if you do not have the section first add it to your profile.
3. Select the desired connection(s) to request a recommendation from and click “Next”.
4. Select what relationship the person had with you at the time and what position you had then.
5. Customize your request. LinkedIn provides a default message, but it’s a good idea to personalize your request to make it more personal and compelling. Explain why you are asking for the recommendation and what you hope to achieve with it.
6. Click “Send” to submit your recommendation request.
Once you receive a recommendation from a connection, you can add it to your profile by following these steps:
1. Log in to your LinkedIn account and go to your profile page.
2. Go to the “Recommendations” section and click on the “Manage” button.
3. Click on the “Receive” tab to view the recommendations you have received.
4. Select the recommendation you want to add to your profile and click the “Add to Profile” button.
5. Select the section of your profile where you want to add the recommendation. You can add your experience or training to the summary sections.
6. Customize recommendations. LinkedIn provides a default template for recommendations, but you can edit and customize it to make it more relevant and persuasive. You can choose to include the entire recommendation or select specific parts of it to include.
7. Click Save to add the recommendation to your profile.
It is important to note that you can only add recommendations to your LinkedIn profile that have been written by other LinkedIn users. To make sure your recommendations are authentic and reliable, it’s a good idea to only ask people you’ve worked with or know you well.
Here are some additional tips for adding recommendations to your LinkedIn profile:
1. Don’t be afraid to ask for recommendations. Asking for recommendations can be uncomfortable or awkward, but it’s an important part of building your professional network and demonstrating your skills and expertise. Be polite and professional in your request and explain why you are asking for the recommendation.
2. Track your communications. If you don’t hear back after a few weeks, it’s okay to follow up and remind them of your request. Be polite and professional in your next message and thank them for their time.
3. be selective about the recommendations you add to your profile. You don’t need to add every recommendation you receive to your LinkedIn profile. Choose recommendations that best showcase your skills and expertise and are relevant to your career goals.
4. Return the favor. If someone writes you a recommendation, write them a recommendation in return. This can help strengthen your professional relationships and build your network.
5. Keep your recommendations up to date. As you gain new skills and experience, it’s important to update your recommendations accordingly. Don’t be afraid to ask for new recommendations or delete old recommendations that are no longer relevant or accurate.
Adding recommendations to your LinkedIn profile is a crucial step in building your professional network and showcasing your skills and expertise to potential employers and clients. By following the simple steps outlined above, you can easily request and add recommendations to your profile, helping you to establish your credibility and build your reputation on LinkedIn.
Additionally, by writing strong recommendations for others, you can help to strengthen your professional relationships and expand your network. So don’t hesitate to ask for recommendations and write them for others. Remember to be selective, keep your profile up-to-date, and maintain a professional tone throughout the process. By doing so, you can unlock the full potential of LinkedIn recommendations and take your career to the next level.
Best LinkedIn Recommendations Examples
Now, I am going to give you some well-written recommendations samples and then I will provide samples for different situations.
1. “I have had the pleasure of working with Zara Ali for several years, and have been continually impressed by her professionalism, creativity, and attention to detail. She has a unique ability to think outside the box and come up with innovative solutions.” I would highly recommend Zara to anyone looking for a talented and dedicated professional.”
2. “I had the opportunity to work closely with Sara Smith on a challenging project, and I was impressed with her expertise and leadership skills. She has an exceptional ability to inspire and motivate team members, and “Always goes the extra mile to ensure projects are completed on time and to the highest quality standards. I would highly recommend her for any project management role.”
3. “I have worked with Dan Lorry for several years and can honestly say that he is one of the most knowledgeable and skilled professionals I have ever worked with. He has a deep understanding of the industry and is always up to date.” Keep up with the latest trends and best practices. I highly recommend Dan to anyone looking for a top-notch consultant.”
4. “I had the pleasure of working with Helen Cooper on a complex marketing campaign and was constantly impressed by her creativity, strategic thinking, and attention to detail. She has a unique ability to understand her client’s needs and develop customized solutions that deliver results. I highly recommend her for any marketing or communications role.”
5. “I had the privilege of working with Johan Carter on a challenging project and was amazed by his technical skills and problem-solving abilities. He has a deep understanding of technology and is always willing to share their knowledge with others.” His dedication and work ethic is truly inspiring, and I would recommend Johan Carter to anyone looking for a talented and motivated developer.”
6. “I enjoyed working with Jane on a challenging project that required a high level of technical expertise, and I was consistently impressed with her knowledge and problem-solving skills. Jane was able to quickly identify and resolve complex issues.” and she always approached her work with a positive attitude and willingness to go above and beyond. I would highly recommend her for any technical role.”
7. “I had the opportunity to work with Yui Chen on a major business development initiative, and I was impressed by his strategic thinking and ability to build strong relationships with key stakeholders. He has a natural talent for networking and Always willing to help others succeed. I highly recommend Yui for any business development or sales role.”
8. “I had the pleasure of working with Sedrik on a high-profile project that required strong leadership and communication skills, and I was continually impressed by his ability to keep the team focused and motivated. He has a talent for inspiring others and bringing out the best in people.He always approaches his work with a positive attitude and a strong sense of professionalism. I would highly recommend Sedrik for any leadership or management role.”
10. “I had the privilege of working with Kate Usherman on a complex research project, and I was so impressed by her analytical skills and attention to detail. She has a deep understanding of research methods and is always able to identify and the data sets are complex to interpret. Her dedication and work ethic is truly inspiring, and I would recommend her to anyone looking for a talented researcher.”
11. “I had the honor to work with Jia Wei Chang on a major corporate social responsibility initiative, and I was impressed by his ability to bring together diverse stakeholders and build consensus around a common goal. He is always focused on making a positive impact in the community. I highly recommend Jia Wei for any CSR or community involvement role.”
Sample Recommendation on LinkedIn for Colleague
Imagine an ex-colleague asks you to write him/her a recommendation. You can write something like the example below.
“I had the honor of working with [Name] for several years and I can say with confidence that he/she is one of the most talented and dedicated professionals I have ever met. [Name] has a unique ability to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions to complex problems. He/she consistently delivers high-quality work on time and on budget, and he/she always goes the extra mile to ensure that their clients are satisfied.
In addition to their his/her expertise, [Name] is a pleasure to work with. He/she is a great team player and always willing to lend a hand to help others succeed. He/she has a positive attitude and strong work ethic and is always willing to take on new challenges.
I would highly recommend [Name] for any project management or technical role. He/she has the skills and experience to excel in any position, and they are a valuable asset to any team. It was a pleasure working with [Name], and I look forward to collaborating with him/her again in the future.”
This recommendation highlights the person’s technical expertise, work ethic, positive attitude, and team-oriented approach. It also provides specific examples of the person’s strengths and accomplishments, which helps to establish their credibility and build their reputation on LinkedIn.
LinkedIn Recommendation for Manager
Yeah, I know it might seem odd, but some of your managers might need your recommendation in their profile. So let us see how to write one for them.
“I had the privilege of working with [Name] for several years, and I can say without hesitation that they are one of the best managers I have ever had. [Name] has a natural talent for leadership and is able to inspire and motivate team members to achieve their best. They are always approachable and willing to listen to feedback, and they have a great ability to balance the needs of the team with the needs of the organization.[Name] is also a great communicator and is able to clearly articulate goals and expectations to their team members. They have a talent for setting clear priorities and ensuring that everyone is aligned around the same objectives. They are also able to effectively delegate tasks and responsibilities, which helps to build trust and confidence among team members.
In addition to their leadership skills, [Name] is a pleasure to work with. They have a positive attitude and strong work ethic and always lead by example. They are able to create a positive and productive work environment, which helps to foster collaboration and innovation.
I would highly recommend [Name] for any leadership or management role. They have the skills, experience, and personality to inspire and lead teams to achieve great things. It was a pleasure working with [Name], and I have no doubt that they will continue to excel in their career.”
This recommendation highlights the person’s leadership skills, communication skills, ability to delegate tasks, positive attitude, and work ethic, all of which are important qualities for a manager. It also provides specific examples of the person’s strengths and accomplishments, which helps to establish their credibility and build their reputation on LinkedIn.
When writing a recommendation for a manager on LinkedIn, it’s important to focus on their ability to lead and inspire teams, as well as their communication skills, ability to delegate tasks, and overall management style. These are all key qualities that are highly valued in the workplace, and they are especially important for a manager who is responsible for leading a team to achieve its objectives.
LinkedIn Recommendation for Junior
Junior colleagues are usually the ones who need these recommendations most and it is best if they are from their senior colleagues or managers. Let us see an example:
“I had the pleasure of working with [Name] for several months, and I was consistently impressed by their dedication, enthusiasm, and willingness to learn. [Name] has a natural curiosity and passion for their work, and they always go above and beyond to ensure that they are producing high-quality work.[Name] is also a great team player and is always willing to contribute ideas and perspectives to help the team succeed. They have a positive attitude and a strong work ethic and are always looking for ways to improve their skills and knowledge.
In addition to their technical skills, [Name] is a pleasure to work with. They have excellent communication skills and are able to work effectively with people from different backgrounds and with different levels of expertise. They are also able to take constructive feedback and use it to improve their work.
I would highly recommend [Name] for any junior role. They have the skills, attitude, and drive to succeed in any position, and they are a valuable asset to any team. It was a pleasure working with [Name], and I have no doubt that they will continue to excel in their career.”
This recommendation highlights the person’s dedication, enthusiasm, willingness to learn, team-oriented approach, positive attitude, and strong communication skills, which are all important qualities for a junior colleague. It also provides specific examples of the person’s strengths and accomplishments, which helps to establish their credibility and build their reputation on LinkedIn.
When writing a recommendation for a junior colleague on LinkedIn, it’s important to focus on their potential for growth and their willingness to learn and improve. Highlighting their positive attitude, teamwork skills, and ability to communicate effectively are also important, as these are key qualities that will help them succeed in any role. By providing a thoughtful and specific recommendations, you can help to establish the person’s credibility and build their professional network on LinkedIn.
Writing a compelling LinkedIn recommendation is a valuable way to support someone’s professional journey and enhance their credibility on the platform, especially for roles like a recruitment consultant, technical recruiter, or software engineer. Begin by highlighting specific examples of the person’s strengths, accomplishments, and qualities that impressed you while working together. Focus on their unique skills and contributions, showcasing their expertise in the respective field. When recommending someone, it’s essential to be genuine and sincere, providing honest and authentic praise. If someone requests a recommendation, consider tailoring it to align with their specific needs or goals. By crafting a well-thought-out LinkedIn recommendation, you not only help elevate their professional profile but also reinforce your professional relationship and contribute to building a supportive and encouraging network on LinkedIn.
I talked about the importance of writing effective LinkedIn recommendations to showcase your professional network and build your reputation on the platform. We reviewed several key guidelines for writing effective recommendations, including the importance of being specific, being customized, highlighting unique qualities, using a professional tone, keeping it brief, being honest, and including credit where appropriate.
I also provided several examples of well-written LinkedIn recommendations for different types of professionals, including colleagues, managers, and juniors. These examples showed how to focus on specific skills and achievements and use strong language to convey confidence and enthusiasm.
By following these guidelines and providing thoughtful and specific advice, you can help build your credibility on LinkedIn and build strong professional relationships with your network. Remember to keep your recommendations honest, concise, and relevant to the person’s professional profile, and use specific examples to highlight their strengths and accomplishments. By keeping these tips and examples in mind, you can take your LinkedIn profile to the next level and unlock its full potential for your career.
- How do you write a good recommendation for someone on LinkedIn? To write a good LinkedIn recommendation: be specific, professional, and concise. Highlight unique qualities and include your own credentials if possible.
- How do I write a simple recommendation on LinkedIn? To write a simple LinkedIn recommendation, focus on the person’s key strengths and accomplishments, use a professional tone, and keep it concise.
CUFinder Academic Hub, Ultimately Free!
These comprehensive PDFs are your key to mastering the art of professional networking, personal branding, and strategic content creation on LinkedIn.