Before that, let me talk a little about an important question, which your thoughts may be on that too!
We know WhatsApp as a messenger regularly used for chatting, audio and video calls. However, if you’d like to know, “Is WhatsApp technically a social media?” I should say – it is!
WhatsApp is a cross-platform flexible app, which helps people to
· not only chat and call each other (audio and video) as a Messenger (like telegram)
· but also let them to share Status and media as a Social Networking App (like Instagram)
I recommend you to take a look at Investopedia’s article “Social Media: Definition, Effects, and List of Top Apps” in which WhatsApp is listed as the third most used social app worldwide!
Fulfilling various forms of marketing’s needs and wants has made WhatsApp to become very eminent among digital marketers.
Some of WhatsApp’s assistances in business and marketing are:
Lead generation: sending offers to prospects via messaging or direct call, however I do not recommend the latter when it is your first talk!
Customer follow up: call customers or send instant messages to them free of charge
Online meetings: it is not important where your customers are, via WhatsApp you can have meeting with any person at any part of the world for free
As we are approaching 2023, the WhatsApp statistics 2022, which definitely help WhatsApp marketers to make the most of this wonderful app in the year to come, are mentioned below categorized in different main groups.
- WhatsApp Company Statistics
- WhatsApp Worth Statistics
- WhatsApp User Statistics
- Statistics of WhatsApp Users in USA
- WhatsApp Business Statistics
- WhatsApp Message Statistics
- WhatsApp Status Statistics
- WhatsApp Group Statistics
WhatsApp Company Statistics
1. What is WhatsApp used for?
· WhatsApp users can send their messages to any person who has an active WhatsApp account worldwide via text, image, video, and voice recording free of charge.
Into the bargain, users can make voice and video calls via WhatsApp and internet connection at no cost! It is perfect for the people who are far from each other, reducing costs of direct telephone conversations.
2. WhatsApp link
3. When was WhatsApp invented?
WhatsApp was established in February 2009.
4. Who is the WhatsApp founder?
Brian Acton and Jan Koum created WhatsApp. Both of them were former employees of Yahoo.
5. Who is Jan Koum?
Jan Koum – born in February 1976 – is an Ukrainian-American businessman and computer engineer.
He was WhatsApp’s cofounder in 2009 and he was the CEO of WhatsApp until 2014 when WhatsApp was sold to Facebook.
6. Who is Brian Acton?
Brian Acton – born 1972 – is an American computer programmer and Internet entrepreneur who previously was the co-founder of WhatsApp.
7. Who bought WhatsApp?
Facebook (now rebranded to Meta) purchased WhatsApp in 2014.
8. When did WhatsApp sold to Facebook?
In February 2014, WhatsApp was sold to Meta (previously was Facebook)
9. How much did Zuckerberg buy WhatsApp?
Facebook CEO – Mark Zuckerberg – paid US $16 billion to purchase WhatsApp messenger and social app.
10. WhatsApp operating systems
- Android running OS 4.1 and newer
- iPhone running iOS 12 and newer
- KaiOS 2.5.0 and newer, including JioPhone and JioPhone 2
11. What is WhatsApp default language?
WhatsApp’s default language is English.
12. What are WhatsApp supported languages in 2022?
- Android: up to 60 languages
- iPhone: over 40 languages
To learn how to change WhatsApp language, click HERE.
13. How many countries is WhatsApp available in 2022?
WhatsApp is available in 180 countries.
14. In which country WhatsApp is banned Q4 2022?
As of Q4 2022 WhatsApp is banned/blocked in:
However, via VPNs, users access WhatsApp.
WhatsApp Worth Statistics
1. What is the most popular texting app 2022?
WhatsApp is the most-used messaging platform worldwide in 2022 with over 2 billion users!
2. What is the most popular messaging app in the UK 2022?
WhatsApp is the most popular chat app in the UK.
3. What percentage of the global population use WhatsApp?
World population increased to 8 billion in 2022.
WhatsApp has approximately 2.26 billion users worldwide, reported by Meta in 2022.
With a simple calculation, we see that around 27.5% of the world population are using WhatsApp in 2022!
4. What is WhatsApp ranking among top social media companies by revenue 2022?
WhatsApp is the third social media with the highest revenue in 2022, US $5.5 billion.
WhatsApp User Statistics
1. How many users are there on WhatsApp 2022?
- WhatsApp monthly active users are over 2 billion in 2022!
- Reported by Meta, WhatsApp roughly has 2.26 billion users as of 2022!
2. WhatsApp’s monthly active users from 2010 to 2022 (in million)
3. How many new users did WhatsApp gain in 2019?
Only in 2019, 759.4 million new people started to use WhatsApp in the world!
4. WhatsApp Users by Country 2022
As demonstrated in the chart below, India has the most number of users in WhatsApp, 487.5 million. The other countries after India have less than 120 million WhatsApp users each.
5. WhatsApp gender demographics 2022
- Most of WhatsApp users worldwide are male, 53.9%
- 46.1% of WhatsApp users are female
6. WhatsApp age demographics in USA as of May 2022
The older US people get, the less probable they use WhatsApp!
As pointed out in Statista, most US users of WhatsApp are between 18 to 34 years old, 34%.
The second group, 27%, is the adults between 35 to 44.
Afterwards, people between 45 to 64 are the third group and people older than 65 are the last group.
Statistics of WhatsApp Users in USA
1. What percentage of the US uses WhatsApp?
- 23% of US people use WhatsApp (Pew Research Center, 2021)
- 19% of American teens and young adults use WhatsApp (AudienceProject, 2020)
2. What ethnicity uses WhatsApp the most in the US?
3. WhatsApp users demographics in the US (gender & age)
In an online survey done in the US, 24% of the male respondents said that they use WhatsApp in May 2022.
In addition, 21% of the female respondents said that they use WhatsApp.
WhatsApp Business Statistics
1. When did WhatsApp Business start?
WhatsApp Business started its job in January 2018.
2. What is WhatsApp business?
As the name suggests, WhatsApp Business Account (WABA) is created to serve companies in the process of interacting with customers.
3. What is the difference between WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business?
4. Can I use the same number for WhatsApp and WhatsApp Business?
5. Is WhatsApp Business free in 2022?
The first 1,000 conversations of any registered WhatsApp Business Account are free each month.
6. WhatsApp business pricing 2022
According to the conversation-based pricing model of WhatsApp released in Feb 1, 2022:
- Businesses are charged per 24-hour-session conversation (a fixed 24-hour period including all messages delivered to a customer) rather than per message sent, not affected by the person who starts the conversation (business or user).
- Each registered WhatsApp Business Account has 1,000 free conversations.
- When a user clicks on your Facebook or Instagram ad and then enters your WhatsApp business account, that conversation is free.
WhatsApp Message Statistics
1. WhatsApp session message VS template message
WhatsApp messages are classified in two types including “session” and “template”.
- WhatsApp session message: The first one, session message, is the WhatsApp conversations that the customer starts. When the customer has questions about a product/service, he/she starts the conversation. This type of customer-initiated message is known as session message.
- WhatsApp template message: And the latter is the template message in which unlike the previous one, the company starts the conversation. In other words, the first message is sent by the company. Remember that your company must first receive an opt-in permission from the customer accepting that he/she likes to get messages from you in the future.
2. What are different types of WhatsApp messages in terms of content type?
Text message: the most common type of message sent on any messenger and social media in which you can send a simple greeting message or deliver important offers to prospects and negotiate with them!
Image message: when the message contains an image, it is known as an image message. You can upload images from your gallery or take a picture with your mobile camera directly from WhatsApp, no need to exit WhatsApp to take pictures.
Video message: when the message contains a video, it is known as video.
Audio message: when the message contains an audio, it is known as audio message.
Document message: when the message contains document files like Excel or Word, it is known as a document message.
Contact message: if you share one or more contacts via WhatsApp, you send a contact message like what you see below.
Location message: as you can see in the picture below, the users can send their current, live, or other location by WhatsApp to any person they want.
· Polls: via polls, you can ask a question in WhatsApp from the group members to collect any data you like. If you click “View votes”, you can see what the choice of each voter was.
Interactive messages: any message that contains buttons like Call-to-Action.
3. Is there a character limit for WhatsApp messages 2022?
- Template message: 1024 characters max
- Session message: 4096 characters max
4. WhatsApp video size limit 2022
Any kind of media (image, video, audio, document) you share on WhatsApp cannot be larger than 16MB.
5. How many photos can I send at once on WhatsApp?
Up to 30 images or videos can be sent via WhatsApp at once.
6. Can we add captions to WhatsApp images 2022?
Yes, you can add captions to WhatsApp messages.
7. How do I forward WhatsApp messages with caption 2022?
Previously, when you forward a media file with a caption on WhatsApp, just the media was transferred and WhatsApp omitted the caption automatically in the forwarding process.
However, in Q4 2022, WhatsApp changed this feature and now any image, video, GIFs, and document can be forwarded with its caption easily.
8. How many WhatsApp messages are sent a day worldwide 2022?
It will blow your mind to know that every day; over 100 billion messages are sent in WhatsApp.
9. Can someone see my WhatsApp messages from another phone 2022?
As explained in WhatsApp website, WhatsApp is end-to-end encrypted so all messages are saved on your device. If anyone accesses your account on another device like PC cannot access your past messages.
WhatsApp Status Statistics
1. When was WhatsApp Status introduced?
On 24 February 2017 (coinciding with WhatsApp’s 8th birthday), WhatsApp Status was released.
2. What is the use of WhatsApp Status?
Via WhatsApp “Status”, you can share image, video, text, and Gif on WhatsApp, which are available on your Status for 24 hours and after that, they will disappear. Any of your contacts that you permit can see your Status.
3. Is WhatsApp Status like the Instagram story?
WhatsApp Status is similar to Instagram Story, their purposes are the same and they both remain in your account for only 24 hours.
Instagram Story is used for sharing any content that we do not like to be recorded in our Instagram profile for always sharing the moments of your day.
Unlike Instagram, WhatsApp first focus is messaging. However, in WhatsApp you can share any moment of your life (video or image) and any text you like with any of your contacts you choose.
4. WhatsApp Status usage 2022 – how many people use WhatsApp Status in 2022?
Approximately, half a billion WhatsApp users use the WhatsApp Status every day!
5. Who can view WhatsApp Status?
In order to see the status of a person, both you and that person should save each other’s phone numbers in your cellphones.
In other words, if that person has saved your number but you did not, you cannot see his/her status and he/she cannot see yours too.
In addition, you can determine which of your contacts can see your status and which cannot, demonstrated in the picture below.
6. How do I know someone is checking my WhatsApp Status 2022?
Open your WhatsApp Status, then you can see an “eye icon” at the bottom of the Status tap. Then you will see the full list of any contact that visited your Status until that second. This number updates every moment.
7. Can you see how many times someone views WhatsApp Status 2022?
Can you understand if someone views your WhatsApp Status more than once?
No! You can see which of your contacts have viewed your WhatsApp Status but you cannot find out how many times they watched it!
WhatsApp Group Statistics
1. What is a WhatsApp Group?
WhatsApp groups are similar to groups in other messengers like Telegram. In a simple definition, many WhatsApp users can join a certain WhatsApp group for various purposes.
It can be a family group for sharing photos and chatting, a friend group for arranging events and entertainment, or a business group for discussion and negotiation.
2. WhatsApp group members limit 2022
As of Q4 2022, WhatsApp groups can have up to 1024 participants!
3. What is the difference between group and channel in WhatsApp?
In WhatsApp groups, all participants can upload and share data and media; in WhatsApp channels, only the admins can send messages, not participants!
The Last Word
Smart marketers and businesspersons always seek the best apps to connect with prospects and old customers, especially the ones that are not in their own country.
The best ways are the ones that are:
- free or with the minimum costs compared with direct phone call
- providing various connection features like messaging and audio/video call
- capable of sharing images, videos, documents, locations, etc.
- easy to use
- safe and reliable
- popular so many people across the world use them
WhatsApp is a messenger and social media with all the above characteristics. That is why many people worldwide benefit from WhatsApp in their everyday lives and for business purposes.
Any person using WhatsApp for advertising, marketing, and lead generation is better to read the WhatsApp stats 2022 in this article. Focusing on updated WhatsApp statistics helps you to expand your business and level it up in the year to come – 2023.